Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our cat have lost a bit of fur around one eye and eye is

Customer Question

Hello our cat have lost a bit of fur around one eye and eye is little swollen around have good appetite cold and wet nose and looks very healthy otherwise ,could we get advice please we could send photos but not sure if we can by this service
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat's skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: Not
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Garfield he is 4and 6 month
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We change his dry foodfew days ago
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Good morning. My name is*****; I am a veterinarian. I will do my best to help you and Garfield.

Can you post your picture of his eye and this hair loss here for me to see? You use the camera or paper clip icon to do this.

Is he eating?

Does he go outside?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (TL73PLQ)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (6QPSGG6)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is eating normally he is indoors only
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for the pictures. I see the area of hair loss but I can't appreciate any swelling. His eye itself looks normal.

Does he go outside? Could he have been in a fight or had an injury?

Is he eating normally?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Sorry, I see he is eating and is indoors.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

The skin in the area of hair loss does not look inflamed or infected in the picture. Is this painful or itchy for him?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We have other cats at home but before he have this only on the bottom of his eye and today we see bit on the top
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is not itching
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
His behaviour is normal however few day ago he vomited with kind of whitish foam
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But now is normal doesn't vomit and behaviour as usual
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

I see the bit on the top.

Hair loss can be from an injury or fight with another cat. It can also be from a skin infection. Skin parasites are a possibility, such as fleas or mites, but this is usually itchy.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It's not itching him at all this doesn't bother him at all
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He have vaccination up to date dwfleas deworm also
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We bought kitten around 2 weeks ago kitten was deworm deflated but not vaccinate
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Flea products do not always treat for mites; it depends on what you are using.

Does the kitten have any areas of hair loss?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But we have 3 more adults cats and they are fine
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Kitten is fine
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Any ideas what should we do and if we should seperated him from other cats
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

To tell you for sure what is causing this hair loss, I would need to be able to examine him in person, and do skin scrapings to get sample for microscopic examination.

You can try applying a little topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to this and see if it helps. Do not get any in his eye, and try to keep him from grooming it off for a few minutes so it can be absorbed.

Monitoring it for a few days to see if it is getting better or worse is probably what I would do.

Since there are other cats this may be from a fight. Separating him may not help, however. It may make the cats anxious if they are separated.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

If this starts to get itchy, I would have him checked for things like ringworm (fungal skin infection) or mites, by a veterinarian.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions and how Garfield is doing.

You can send me updates and photos and ask questions by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website and I will respond when I am next online. I will be checking back with you to see how he is doing. Thanks for using our site.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where can we get Noesporin
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

It is over the counter, for people, in pharmacies or grocery stores. You can also try Vetricyn from a pet store or farm supply store.

Another thing to try is Terramycin eye ointment. It can be used on the skin but if it gets in the eye is it not a problem since it is made to treat eyes. It is in farm supply and pet stores unless you live in California.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Sorry, I see you are in the UK! Never mind about California. You should be able to get Terramycin there in pet supply stores or online.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We find neosporin online however is for humans use is written, is that still ok ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Neosporin is only made for people; sorry I was not clear. Be sure it does not get into his eye.

Terramycin is for pets only.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is the second product is Vetricyn or vetericyn ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
can we use Neosporin or not I'm confused sorry
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Vetericyn. Only get the ointment form.

You can use Neosporin but just on the skin and not in the eye. The same is true for Vetericyn. Terramycin can be used on the skin and the eye; it is made to use in eyes and has an antibiotic in it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Will use one and see how it goes if no improvement in few days will get back to web and go vet
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know how Garfield is doing.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Will do
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 days ago.

Thanks! Stay safe.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 day ago.

Good morning; this is Dr. Rebecca following up to see if you have other questions. How is Garfield doing?