RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

He is 9 years old and always walks with his tail upright,

Customer Question

He is 9 years old and always walks with his tail upright, today it is hanging down limp and when I tried to touch/lift it he cried out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the cat's legs/feet?
Customer: no walking, ok
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Leon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He used meow a lot, not now, looks sad.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
last week he had a weeping eye which was half closed,he allowed me to bathe it and it looks a bit better, but now this with hit tail.
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that Leon is having issues with his tail. It sounds as though he has hurt his tail. Sometimes this can be caused by getting the tail trapped in something and having it pulled (a tail pull injury) which can cause damage at the base of the tail. It also may be due to a hit to the tail or a bite from another cat. Cat bites can cause abscessation sometimes at the base of the tail which is very painful. If the tail is limp it does suggest that he possibly may have caused quite severe damage. If he looks down or sad then It suggests he is in quite a lot of discomfort. I would recommend him seeing a vet today so that they can examine him fully, prescribe pain medications and anti-inflammtories or antibiotics if required. He may also need to have X-rays taken of his pelvis and tail to check for any fracture or damage. I would contact them ASAP to arrange for an appointment.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles