Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

We’ve adapted a 12 year old cat named Sunshine just over

We’ve adapted a 12 year old cat named Sunshine just over three months ago. She’s still settling in but our biggest concern is her be comfortable at night. Sunshine usually is half asleep when we go to bed but once she wakes up later during the night she would start crying and pacing a little whilst also carrying her pet mouse in her mouth. She’s been checked out by a Vet before the adoption and we also don’t see any concerning behaviour indicating she’s unwell. Do you have any tips how we can make her more comfortable at night and stop her from crying? Thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with her pacing?
Customer: Yes I thinks so as we play with her during the day and in the evening, she has access to the terrace and has interactive feeding toys. Also a few cat beds and we’re using Feliway
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Sunshine
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Thank you for the information. From what you describe it certainly sounds like Sunshine is not yet comfortable with her new surroundings. The behavior you describe is behavior commonly seen by female cats nesting or securing their safe "territory". Twelve years old is a little young for cognitive decline (dementia) commonly seen in older cats displaying these symptoms, but that is possible also.

In answer to your question Sunshine would do much better if you could provide her a small space with her food, water, bed, and litter box like a small room, closet, or cage. At night Sunshine should be confined to this small area. It would make her much more secure in her surroundings.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much. We’ll follow up with your advice. I assume it would be advisable to then also ignore her crying whilst confined in a small room?

Correct. But I doubt the crying will happen much after a few days.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Excellent thanks
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh how many days after the crying stopped can we stop confining her?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or would we need to do this for let’s say a few months?
I would suggest sunshine spend the majority of her time in this area for a few weeks, locked in even during the day if you are not interacting with her. Then you can start leaving the door open during the day. If she stops the crying you can allow her out at night. If she doesn’t she would be locked in at night. Cats are nocturnal so her behavior at night may be very different than during the day.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** really helpful

You are very welcome.