Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I took my kitten to vet check on tuesday this week, since he

Hello, i took my kitten to vet check on tuesday this week, since he was shaking his head and scratching his ears, vet confirmed that he has ear infection, and advised to give him surolan ear drop two times a day for a week. I started to give it but i am not sure if i am doing it right, i mean not sure if i am putting same amount of drop each ear, and when i put it in to his ears, he is shaking his head and some if it spilling out. I am just concerned if he is getting sufficient amount of drop, and he really does not like it. Is it normal, is there any suggestion you may dhare with me to do it more properly? and he is eating less than normal, is there any side effects of the drop?
many thanks in advance!

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet. Just a few moments as I type my reply.

Congratulations on your new kitten and I'm sorry to hear Alfie is having this issue.

It's great he has been seen by a vet and a diagnosis has been made.

Ear mites and infections are VERY common in kittens and are generally quite easy to treat (which is good news!).

For drops to work best, ***** ***** do the following:

• Clean any wax/debris out of the ear canal with some ear cleaner and cotton wool 30 minutes before applying medicated drops.
  • Insert the nozzle right into the canal (not just at the opening)
  • Squeeze so about 5-10 drops come out. I agree, it is hard to know exactly how much liquid comes out but as long as you give a good squeeze, it should be enough. Remember, a kitten's ear canal is relatively small when compared to a Labrador and we use the same size bottle for both! So, while it is possible some large dogs are being over-dosed, this is RARE in kittens.
  • Head shaking after applying drops is 100% normal. It is irritating and feels funny so the natural reaction is to shake. Don't worry, plenty of liquid will remain inside.

Eating less is not an expected side effect so we need to monitor this closely. It may be that he is uncomfortable due to the ear infection. He should be gaining weight and should have wet and pink gums. There should be no vomiting or diarrhoea. Offer a tasty kitten food and consider mixing some wet kitten food & warming it up to make it more attractive while Alfie's appetite is low.

I hope this is all okay and please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much, it is very helpfull! have a great night.
Very happy to help. Take care!

Hello, how is Alfie getting along?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello, thank you very much for following us up. I am continuing to give him ear drops, he is so annoyed though. He still eats less than normal, but he is playful and drinks his water. However, he had a coughing yesterday night. He was purring on my sholder, than he went to his food while still purring, after he took few bites, he started to cough like he is choking or trying to vomit but nothing cameout, it continued almost a minute, than he get back to normal, i observed him few more hours and he slept. It did not happened again. His nose, lungs, and ears are just checked by Vet last week, and everything was normal with his throath, lungs and nose. So, I am so concerning for him, I managed to get earliest available appointment from vet, which is tomorrow.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear he is finding the drops annoying; it is certainly something that most cats struggle with. Hopefully not much longer. To help, you can offer a really tasty treat after each drop application, as a 'reward'.

I'm sorry to hear about the coughing fit, that must have given you quite a fright. As it was a one off and happened while eating, it may well be that some food went down the wrong way or caused him to gag. It's great he was normal after and that he is all booked for a check.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very much, you are very helpful. Hope he is okay, and gets better soon, my little baby :)
Hav a lovely night!

Same to you :)