DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs Experience. Int. Med, Emerg, Ultrasound, General Practice
20798050

She has stopped eating and drinling, She hasn't eaten for

Customer Question

She has stopped eating and drinling
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: She hasn't eaten for 36hours but is still quite likely
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: She dosent appear to be, she had a coughing episode prior to stopping eating but didn't bring anything up
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Honey and 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She has only peed once and hasn't pooped at all
Category: Cat
Expert:  DocPaul replied 23 days ago.

Hello there. I am Dr.Paul Brazzell, and I will be helping you today.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you.

Talking by phone allows me to give a more accurate and rapid assessment of the problem. The more information I have, the better the job I can do.

Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts.

Please let me know when you are ready to begin.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 23 days ago.

Good afternoon. When is the last time that she ate? Is she having trouble breathing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
36 hours ago and no dosent seem to have trouble breathing
Expert:  DocPaul replied 23 days ago.

Thank you so much. She is thirteen, so there are many differentials here- gastritis, pancreatitis, foreign body, kidney/liver disease, peritonitis, cholecystitis, dietary indiscretion, kidney infection, and neoplasia, to name a few. Also, we have to worry about fatty liver development secondary to her not eating. I would recommend taking her this morning for examination, blood and urine testing, and supportive care until they can determine its cause. They will likely want to x-ray the abdomen to rule out masses and fluid.

I am sorry to have to recommend this; inappetent cats are considered a medical emergency. I hope that you are comfortable with my recommendations. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Many thanks i will see if I can get an emergency appt today. My daughter has just told me that she coughed up some fluid last week which looked like fresh blood. I was unaware of this.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 23 days ago.

You are so very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Paul Brazzell