Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My cat has not been eating as normal. She is not herself and

My cat has not been eating as normal. She is not herself and does not want to leave the house. This is not normal for her and I am getting worried.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: A few weeks now. She will eat once or twice a day, but very little. She will sleep what seems like 18/20 hours a day.
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is around 10/11 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about At?
Customer: She was a stray for 6/7 years. She is very small and does not seem to put on weight. At one point she would eat 4/ pouches of food a day. Now it is less than 1 pouch a day.

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Thank you for the information provided. From what you describe, and at 11 years old, At should really be seen by a veterinarian. Progressive loss of appetite, and the current lethargy suggests a progressive disease like loss of kidney function, or possibly a malignancy. If you are able to have her properly examined that would be best.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am a burnt out old nacker with no transport and can not find a mobile vet to see At. I live in the Chelmsford area, CM3 1AL.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cannot afford £16 to call you no matter how much I would like to.

I understand. If you cannot get to a veterinarian, I would suggest offering strained chicken baby food to eat. It is soft, easy to digest, palatable, and provides needed fluids.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She does seem to be drinking more than normal. I put it down to her eating the dry food?

Offer broths and other enticing liquids like tuna water with water added. This may help.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She will eat Dreamies, are they food as such?

Feed her anything she will eat.

People food also.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK, thank you.

You are very welcome.