Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My 9year old cat had a slight bit of watery blood in his

Hi, my 9year old cat had a slight bit of watery blood in his urine last week just the once so I took him to the vets which showed high sugar and some ketones in his urine, they also done a fructosamine test and said his count was high and says he's a diabetic which he has showed no sign of urinating a lot or drinking too much. They also advised the antibiotics amoxicillin they were treating the uti with was no good as the urine test showed two bacteria infections and switched him to pradofloxacin. My cat is now back to his normal self, weeing a couple of times a day, drinking normally and finishing his food where before he just licked the jelly and left the meat so his appetite his good. Could the infections give a incorrect fructosamine test if the infections he had for the ok ast couple of weeks. I'm so not sure that he's diabetic but I'm back at vets today to show me how to inject the insulin but my concern is what if the tests are incorrect as my cat does s not like going to the vets or even getting in his pet carrier
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much does the cat weigh?
Customer: He approx just over 4 kilo
JA: Has he thrown up since eating the sugar?
Customer: He was once but that was after eating a meat stick treat, just that one time in a week
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Benji
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No can't afford as my vet bill is already £1000

Thank you for the information provided. It is more likely that the diabetic condition, and glucose in the urine, predisposed Benji to the infection. Not he other way around. To ease your concern, it would not be unreasonable for you to ask your veterinarian to repeat the fructosamine before the insulin injection instruction. I would however then proceed with the insulin injection instruction at your visit. .

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!