Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

She has a poorly eye. it looks almost like a layer over the

She has a poorly eye. it looks almost like a layer over the bottom of her eye and it is secreting a red/brown liquid which hardens sometimes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple days
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: yes and no
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Toffee
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so

Good morning. My name is***** I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help you and Toffee.

How long has her eye been like this?

Can you post a picture of her eye for me to see?

How old is Toffee?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (Q356312)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Her eye has been this way for a couple days. she’s around 15-16 years old we’re not fully sure
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (MT5M515)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more photos!

Thanks for the picture. The layer you see in the corner of her eye is her third eyelid. It is not normally seen unless there is an infection or pain in the eye.

There is a red/brown discharge from the eye. It looks like there might also be discharge from her nose?

You can try some Terramycin eye ointment. It is over the counter in pet stores and farm supply stores, except in California.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don’t believe there’s discharge from her nose, i’ve wiped it and nothing came off. Do you think it is just an infection then? Is there any other medicines just in case I can’t find that one?

It could be an infection, or an allergic reaction.

Terramycine is the only antibiotic eye ointment you can get without a prescription. You can try eye drops for people, such as Refresh drops.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay, thank you so much for your help!Toffee says thank you too!Have a good day :)

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing and if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Of course thanks

You are welcome. You can send me updates, photos, and ask questions by picking up this chat again or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website and I will respond when I am next online.

I will be checking back. Thanks for using our site.

Good morning; this is Dr. Rebecca following up to see if you have additional questions. How is Toffee's eye?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi!
I ordered the recommended medicine and she has had her first two flushes today! hoping to see some improvements as it got more swollen and her third eyelid seemed to cover more of her eye, hopefully the medicine will help. do you know how long it takes to kick in?

Thank you for the update. I would hope you see improvement in a day or two after starting the medication.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Perfect! thank you so much for your help

You are welcome. Please let me know how Toffee is doing.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Will do! Thank you again

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Dr Rebecca,
Unfortunately Toffee’s eye has got worse and I was wondering if there was any advice/diagnosis you could suggest before we take her to the vets? I’ll attach a recent picture as it is worse than the one i sent you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (Z73TT5G)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (PML477Z)

It is probably time to have this checked by a veterinarian. I can't really see the eye at all.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you for all your help, we’ll be taking to her a vet this week. Thank you so so much

Please let me know what you find out.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will do thank you!

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Dr Rebecca, just an update, we weren’t able to take Toffee today but her eye seems to be more open now however it is bleeding a little.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (QL2Z7T4)

I can see her eye in this picture, which is good, but the bleeding and the severe swelling around the eye still worry me. What I can see of her actual eyeball looks good.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay, i’m still planning to take her to a vet soon but do you have any idea what the bleeding could be?

I would need to be able to examine her in person to tell you that. I can't tell from the picture.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay, thank you for your help anyways. You’ve been great

You are welcome. Please let me know what you find out. It is good to see her eye looks OK.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will do, that’s great news

Stay safe.