Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My cat has started squatting down for a wee all over the

Customer Question

my cat has started squatting down for a wee all over the house over the last couple of days, but very little is coming out. She is still using her litter tray as well. She is 17 years old and in good health (as far as I can see).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the cat been eating or drinking more than usual?
Customer: Around the same I would say. She has 2 sachets of wet food a day and as many biscuits as she wants (which isn't usually many) - she is a small cat. It's not as easy to assess the amount of water she is drinking, as the bowl is on the landing and she doesn't like to have anyone watch her eat or drink.
JA: Does she also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No more than usual. Cats like to sleep don't they. The only other difference I have noticed over the last couple of days is that she has been meowing a little more than usual. She doesn't seem to be in distress though.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Snowy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is a house cat and has never been out of the house.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I may have more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

What you describe sounds like Snowy has a urinary tract infection. This is painful and causes a sense of urgency which is why she just tries to go anyplace the urgency happens. At her age the concern is always that the infection will affect the kidneys, Snowy needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible to determine the cause of the symptoms and start appropriate treatment. For now, keeping her eating and drinking, and even adding water to her food is imperative.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!