Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

I would really appreciate if you are able to provide some

Hello Dr I would really appreciate if you are able to provide some advice regarding my kitten. I purchased her (and her sister from same litter) at 13 weeks old, 2 months ago (she is now nearly 5 months old) and since the day I brought her home she has suffered with on-going intermittent diarrhoea. Her first stool was out of the litter tray and it was loose. I also noticed that even though I had provided EXACTLY the same litter as what she had when living with the breeder, she would refuse and appeared scared to use the tray to either urinate or for stools and would actually try to eat the litter! (It was clumping litter). Just to note, we also provided exactly the same food she had when with the breeder. She was closely monitored for the first 48 hours to prevent her from eating the litter as she constantly attempted to eat it. I immediately changed the litter to non-clumping pellets and she used the tray fine with this new litter. But the problem of the loose stools/diarrhoea persisted and after a week of having her, I contacted the vet who gave her Pro-kolin (Protexin) Advanced as well as special Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food. This seemed to help and made her stools more firm and healthy-looking. They continued to remain healthy after stopping the treatment but it did not take long before eventually reverting back to loose stools/diarrhoea. Since then it has been intermittent bouts of diarrhoea and loose stools. She has been cycling through periods of very soft stools/diarrhoea and I have tried different interventions such as use of Pro-Kolin, Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Diet, dry only diet (no wet), and changing feeding frequencies/portion sizes, all of which seem to help improve symptoms and her stools, but eventually the loose stools/diarrhoea return. She has had her flea treatment and has been wormed using Panacur (due another worming treatment this weekend). I am unsure as to what could be the cause of this and what I should do?

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I will have a few more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Dr Cynthia, do you have any ideas as to what could be going on with her?

Yes I do. First I would have your veterinarian do additional fecal tests for infections other than worms. There are a number including giardiasis, crypto, campylobacter, toxo, and more that should be screened. Secondly I would do a strict food trial. Although you have changed cat foods, it is still cat food. For a Step 1 trial you can use cooked chicken or chicken baby food ONLY fed for 3-4 weeks. No access to other foods, no treats, no access to plants or grass. If the diarrhea resolves, you can add back one food at a time for 3-4 days until you find a food that not start the symptoms again.

If the GI symptoms do not resolve after 2-3 weeks on the chicken only diet she will need to do a Step 2 strict elimination diet. This means that you must read every ingredient on every food that your kitten is on or has ever been on. She can have nothing that has these ingredients. It is easiest to cook for this trial also, it would be anything but chicken. You veterinarian will also have hydrolyzed diets that can be used. Lunch meats are often easier. By doing this you have eliminated food as a cause of the inflammation, and ruled out infectious causes. That is 99% of what it could be.

Many cats cannot handle any commercial cat foods.

Cats will eat litter because they are anemic, but they will also eat any non digestible item like grass, plants, plastic, broom bristles to stimulate the GI tract to rid themselves of something that is bad for them. It is instinctive. They will also associate the litter box with painful eliminations, causing the original symptom you described. Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok brilliant, I will contact the vet about getting a fecal test for her. I was trying to avoid contacting the vet again because when the 4 weeks free breeders insurance expired I purchased life-time pet insurance for both kittens but because my one kitten I am enquiring about received treatment (Pro-Kolin and gastrointestinal Diet) from a vet in the first week I had her they made gastrointestinal issues exempt from her insurance policy and said as long as in the first few months of the insurance plan she has not been taken to the vet with gastrointestinal issues they will remove this exemption but if she does she will not be covered for gastro issues! But I do not want her to suffer and I want this resolved so I am left with no choice.....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you say chicken baby food do you mean I can use canned chicken kitten food such as Applaws? Or does it have to be cooked? And would I just cook the chicken in boiling water?

No. I mean strained chicken human baby food. https://www.beechnut.com/product/beech-nut-chicken-chicken-broth/

No cat food of any kind.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was actually wondering if her attempting to eat the litter was a sign of something and she actually managed to eat a few pieces of the clumping litter so I wondered if this has potentially caused some damage or obstruction in her GI tract... is this a possibility?

That is very unlikely. She has GI inflammation. What I recommended will help determine what is causing it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did find it weird that I provided her with EXACTLY the same litter the breeder used but she refused to use the tray and actually seemed scared of it when I placed her in. THEN she would attempt to eat it. I wondered if maybe she was eating the litter when with the breeder but the breeder claimed there were no issues on her end so I could only take her word...

What breed is she?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh wow actualy baby food! Ok thank you for the link. Am I able to prepare her chicken myself, as in just cooked in boiling water and then hand blended in a little water?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is a British Shorthair

Yes cooking the chicken yourself with no seasoning and including the broth is great. It can be shredded or pieces, it does not have to be blenderized but that is fine also.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome