Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

My cats one ear is very waxy, he keeps shaking his head and

My cats one ear is very waxy, he keeps shaking his head and ear feels hot to touch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this shaking start? Have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling as well?
Customer: No none of that. I noticed the shaking earlier this week
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Harvey, 14
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Harvey?
Customer: No I don't think so

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. If you would like to continue with this chat please let me know when you are ready. If I do not hear back from you right away, I will answer your question with the information provided then check back periodically to follow up.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I will have a few more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please continue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (377M5Z4)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the picture of his ear.

Thank you. The ear looks irritated as well. Often ear infections are brought on secondary to an allergic response. Is Harvey strictly indoors? Other pets? Any food or diet changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he does go outside but only in our front garden, he's old so doesn't go far. He only goes outside to use the toilet. No other pets or changes in diet.

If it is possible to see your veterinarian that would be ideal. They can swab the ear to determine if it is bacteria, yeast, or just allergic reaction. They can then treat appropriately. Over the counter ear meds are usually ineffective, harsh, and often make matters worse.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My vets is closed until Monday. I shall call first thing. Can I bathe it with salt water until then?

I would not. To calm it until you can be seen you can use Claritin or Zyrtec allergy medication at ¼-1/2 of a 10 mg tablet once or twice daily. Start low and increase dose if needed. This is not a substitute for eliminating what is causing the reaction if possible. Crush into powder and mix in 1tsp favorite wet food.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!