Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Does grain-free food cause canine dilated cardiomyopathy in

Does grain-free food cause canine dilated cardiomyopathy in cats?

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Some additional information may help me answer your questions about Ragnar. Is there a specific grain-free food you are asking about?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just grain free in general. I asked the supplier who makes the food and they said there wasn't a link. However I am just concerned

I am doing some research, so give me a moment.

We know that cat food that doesn't have enough taurine can cause DCM in cats, but since we learned this in the 1980s, most cat foods have plenty of taurine.

The problems seen in dogs are with diets that are grain-free, and that contained legumes like peas and lentils. We have not seen cats have this problem but research is ongoing.

Cats are very different from dogs; they are "obligate carnivores" but dogs are not. So we think a grain-free diet in cats, who need to eat mainly meat, is probably more natural for cats than it is for dogs.

There are no proven cases of cats getting DCM from eating a grain-free diet that I can find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have other questions.

You can send me updates and follow-up questions by picking up this chat again or by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website and I will respond when I am next logged on.

I will be checking back! Thanks for using our site.

Hello! This is Dr. Rebecca checking in to see if you have other questions.

If you have any follow-up questions, please post them here and I will be alerted the next time I log in.