Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat is having trouble breathing, No it has only been

Customer Question

My cat is having trouble breathing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the cat have a cough as well?
Customer: No it has only been since yesterday plus he is nearly 17 years old I am worried he will need to be put down
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Trouble sorry I can't stop crying
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I noticed that he has lost some weight I don't know if he has been eating much
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. You're through to Dr Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear this with your cat and I understand how worrying it can be. Breathing difficulties certainly are a cause for concern. In a cat excess breathing effort, an increased respiratory rate (over 30 breaths per minute at rest) or any signs of prolonged open mouth breathing should prompt an urgent visit to the vets. Often these symptoms can indicate heart or respiratory disease which can sometimes be treated to varying degrees but correct and early diagnosis is important.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.