Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Can coconut oil hurt cats? it hasn't had any effect but I

Can coconut oil hurt cats?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where does the cat seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: it hasn't had any effect but I wondered if it was ok
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: Yes it goes outside. No to medications
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: He is Smudge and he is 9, 10 in May
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He seems to have a dry skin with some dandruff

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. You're through to Dr Chris, a Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Coconut oil should not be harmful in small doses but can cause upset stomach in some cats.

You may find that an omega 3+6 and Vitamin E supplement such as Yumega for cats may be more effective for your cat, see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-YuMEGA-Skin-Coat-Supplement/dp/B001ALEGYE

Failing that a visit to the vets will be required that the skin and coat changes are not due to another underlying health condition.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.