Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has been vomiting hairballs all week and recently

Customer Question

He has been vomiting hairballs all week and recently yesterday with clear pink liquid that i think is blood
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: He’s been on a urinary SO diet for the past 3 months - vet recommended. Around a week ago I started him on a malt flavored toothpaste for gingivitis. And Yesterday he licked some spicy food.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tuesday
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He had surgery two months ago for bladder stones, had a urinary catheter in. Also he is approaching a dental cleaning and has gingivitis
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He is 15 yrs old
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.While a hair ball or two is normal, it sounds like he has excessive amounts of them. This can occur with e.g. skin disease (leading to excess grooming or fur loss), joint disease or another source of pain (causing excess licking) or a gastrointestinal issue.Pink liquid is not normal and may well be blood from the food pipe or stomach. This may indicate inflammation, an ulcer or a cancer.A vet check is best, ***** ***** his age. They may run some tests such as a blood test to determine what is going on.They may also issue medicine such as ant acids and an anti nausea injection.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

I do hope this is all ok and please let me know if there is anything else.