Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I just took at home a small cat is an ragdoll, and he had

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I just took at home a small cat is an ragdoll
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: and he had flies i because I didn’t know I gave him 1 pill for anti flies
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: and know he s feeling bad 4/5 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: On the prescription is written that 1 pill is from 1kg to 10 kg and he s 940g
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello, I took at home few days ago an ragdoll cat and yesterday I just realize he have flies he s just 4/5 weeks. And I gave to him 1 pill for anti flies but from yesterday he s feeling bad :( I went to the veterinarian but basically he didn’t do nothing. And today he s the same. On the prescription is written that 1 pill is for cats from 1kg to 10kg and he s 940g. Can you help please ?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.As he is almost 1kg, I don't think it likely that the tablet is the issue here.What signs is he showing?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He had a lot of energy running and playing all the times. And now he s just sitting like very sad and he puke 1 or 2 times
I'm sorry to hear this.Is he still eating and drinking?Any other signs such as diarrhoea, fast breathing, pale gums or a bloated abdomen?Has he had his first vet check and dewormer?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He s not eating or drinking I try to fed him. No doesn’t look that he have this symptoms
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I went to the vet
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But he said to me to wait
When did he see a vet?
I'm not sure why they would tell you to wait as kitten should be wormed from 3 weeks old.
When did he last eat?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yesterday after I’ve seen the chances
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Today but just because I try to give him

When we are talking about such a young kitten, they need to be eaten 4-6 times a day.

So not eating is a real concern, even if for a short time.

While you saw the vet yesterday, if there has been a worsening, I would 100% advise another vet visit today.

We need to ensure the kitten is not dehydrated and does not have low blood sugar.

I would also be keen to worm them.

Not eating is a red flag and we need to determine why this is happening.

They may need some medicine such as antibiotics or an anti inflammatory.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (QM6SV3S)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is the medicine
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay I’ll search another vet

While it is less likely these tablets are the culprit, the active ingredient Nitenpyram is more toxic to younger and smaller cats, so do bring the packaging with you to show the vet, in case they think it is playing a role.

Absolutely, a vet visit as soon as possible is sensible given how young the kitten is.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Really appreciate

Not at all.

This window will stay open so you are very welcome to update me and ask any more questions you have.

Fingers crossed he is back to normal very soon.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you help me with any advise seeing this situation?

The best advice I can give is that the little one needs to see a vet today. We need to determine what is going on and he may well need iv fluids and prescription medicine.

At home, offer warm chicken and rice little and often and plenty of fresh water. Let him rest and monitor closely for signs such as vomiting or diarrhoea.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much

Take care!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You too