Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 30 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.
31434078

She’s blind because the vet hadn’t check her blood pressure

She’s blind because the vet hadn’t check her blood pressure she goes outside but will she regain sight
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat had this blindness?
Customer: 2 months. She’s taken blood pressure meds. I’m furious with vet
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Mehitabel
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she’s 16 and otherwise happy and healthy

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I may have more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies. I apologize in advance for any typos. Let me know when you are ready to proceed.

Often the retinal detachment is not complete and with blood pressure control some sight may be regained, even if just shadows. If Mehitable is blind to the point of affecting daily afunction it is often best to provide a small "safe space" unless you are with her. . This can be a small room, or easier and more controllable, a crate (cage). Putting your cat in a crate (cage) is not cruel. Anybody who knows cats knows that they seek out small remote places to hide, even boxes and paper bags. This is because a small enclosed area gives them a sense of security. Providing food, water, litter box, hidey box, and bed in a crate makes it easier for the cat to feel in control of its surroundings. They have very nice cages on Amazon and Chewy.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m delighted with your response which gives me hope. Mehitabel is getting used to the blindness and it seems she might see shadows. She is happy to go outside so perhaps she might be regaining some sight. The mere fact that you said that with blood pressure meds it’s a possibility to get some sight back. She has been on those meds since was told her blood pressure caused blindness I’m disabled,not long divorced and live alone and no children. Mehitabel is my world and quite frankly she’s coping with her blindness better than I.
I’ve internalised an unhealthy amount of anger toward my local vet but you have released some because you’ve given me hope.
I’m still upset with my local vet because it appears that it’s lazy that her blood pressure wasn’t checked "because cats aren’t cooperative when checking"
They charge so baffled not monitored.
I will continue to seek your advice if I may however unfortunately have to use my local vet for physical exams.
Very respectfully *****
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I prefer calls in future but unavailable now. I have 1 working arm so typing takes time.

Happy to help.