Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is 15 + a half ...been eating n drinking and sleeping more

Customer Question

Hello Murphy is 15 + a half ...been eating n drinking and sleeping more and getting skinny . I took him pets at home who checked him over and said there’s no obvious signs ...suggested blood tests ...paid £100 so far but Murphy got to stressed panting etc so they wudnt do bloods ...do I get him through that again next wk ( giving him a syringe of relaxant) please help ?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: He eats more and drinks more and is more vocal he also wet my bed and popped in front room ...uses a cat flap so this is so not him
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Murphy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no told u everything
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Did u read my worry question ?
I'm sorry to hear Murphy has been unwell and I do agree that the first diagnostic step would be a blood test.This is because the more common causes of his signs such as kidney disease, diabetes and hyperthyroidism are diagnosed from a blood test.Consider asking for Gabapentin before the test as this should help his anxiety.
Unfortunately without the blood test results we cannot know what is wrong and won't be able to start the correct treatment so it is best to go ahead with the test.If highly stressed, the vet may give a short acting sedative.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They gave me that stuff that u mentioned but I’m thinking is it worth putting Murphy thro that ...and my purse as would rather put it towards his ashes which I understand are around £300 ....
This really depends on how poorly he is and what is wrong with him.If he has an overactive thyroid for example, this this be treated successfully with tablets and you you find he has months or even years of a good quality of life.If you feel you would not pursue treatment regardless of the results, euthanasia would be something to consider.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank u he isn’t in any pain , but just doesn’t do much apart from eating, drinking sleeping and talking for food
Absolutely, there is definitely something going on and the best thing to do will depend on what the diagnosis is.What to do is ultimately your decision and it is important you are comfortable with it. Many find having the blood results are important in the decision making process.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank u how do I unsubscribe to u now please ...need any £ lol
Customer services should be able to help with this, they can be reached here:https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us