Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My daughter's Kitten is about 9 weeks old. We noticed she

My daughter's Kitten is about 9 weeks old. We noticed she has red bulge, looks like a haemorroid. She doesn't seem particularly agitated. Does she need to see a vet as an emergency?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this bulge? Does the kitten lick the skin as well?
Customer: About a few days ago, She sometimes does lick her anal area.
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Rin
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Newly acquired kitten. We were feeding her adult cat food, a friend made us realize she needed to eat kitten food. We just bought kitten food yesterday night. We are kind of new to looking after a kitten

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this about Rin and appreciate your concern.

Could you please send a clear photo?

Has she had diarrhoea or straining?

Has she been rubbing at or licking the bulge?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
she has had diahorrhea

Diarrhoea can cause the tissue of the rectum to evert/stick out on some occasions.

Diarrhoea can have many causes at this age including:

• An abrupt diet change

• Worms

• Other parasites

• Stress

• An infection

We need to treat the diarrhoea.

This means a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days, and then going back to her kitten food.

Ensure she is up to date with a broad acting, quality wormer such as Panacur.

Start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such s Protein Prokolin for 3 days.

Could you please send a photo of the anus? Otherwise it is hard for me to say if she needs emergency care or not. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (P2Q1TLM)

That is quite a large protrusion.

I would advise flushing it with saline gently and placing a little vaseline on it.

She MUST not be allowed to rub at it or lick or chew it as this will worsen it. You need a buster collar if you do not have one.

If things improve quickly, we can likely manage her at home.

However if the tissue becomes more red or inflamed, or she becomes unwell, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
We have just registered her with a Vet. We were planning to take Rin to an emergency Vet clinic but just wanted to talk to a Vet online.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Ok, great.

I think this is sensible idea as they can provide a buster collar if needed and can also provide her wormer and probiotic paste.

This is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure Rin is doing well?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, Thanks for checking in. We took Rin to the Vet last night. They were able to massage the protrusion back in and prescribed anti diahorrhea past
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Paste and Panacur. She seems a lot better today . The protrusion is much improved and got advice on kitten food.

Ah what good news, I'm so glad to hear this. Thank you for keeping me in the loop!