Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is pooping outside of her litter tray, She has been

My cat is pooping outside of her litter tray
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She has been doing it for a few weeks on and off but it isn't consistent, I feel like if she's caught out she will poop wherever she is But she does poop in her tray as well And some of them are very runny She's also a very anxious cat, we've only had her 6 weeks
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with her anxiety?
Customer: We've used a feliway plug in
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Nellie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I think that's it
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.When there is any loose stool, this is typically the cause, especially if this hasn't been a prior issue.Is she up to date with her wormer?
Any recent change in diet?
Any other signs such as weight loss or vomiting?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She is due a wormer in about 2 days. We adopted her recently and changer her food weeks ago now, there's nothing new we have been giving her consistently. The only other signs are that she hides a lot of the time, but is very active at night and wants to play and socialise
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No weight loss or vomiting that we can tell
Thank you. I am just typing my reply
while pooing outside of the litter tray may well be associated with stress and changes (a house move, a diet change, having a naturally anxious personality etc), we would have to assume a medical issue here given the diarrhoea.It may be worth having a vet check and stool analysis in case of e.g. a persistent infection sucj as Giardia or a pre-existing condition such as Inflammatory bowel disease.I would consider trialling a hypoallergenic diet and would start a course of probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop.We also need to provide 2 litter trays which are in low foot traffic spots of the home. Consider a closed top tray and perhaps trial a different type of litter as she may have a preference.Any soiled spots should be cleaned thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner (not one containing bleach).When she does use the tray, reward with praise.Be sure never to punish when she poos elsewhere as, if it is anxiety linked, this can worsen behaviour.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for all your help! This is great advice
Very happy to help and stay safe!