Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Vomiting frothy liquid, He's just brought some more up. This

Vomiting frothy white liquid
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the cat threw up?
Customer: He's just brought some more up.
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: This was my reaction that he had picked up something in the garden but he has now been sick 4times this morning.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Misty and he's 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He is on a veterinary urinary diet due to problems when he was a kitten.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Misty is unwell.When did you first notice he was unwell?Is he showing other symptoms such as lethargy, reduced appetite or a change in thirst?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just this morning. He had breakfast and brought that back so I have removed his food bowl. I have noticed he has been drinking more this last week.
Thank you.Anything else such as weight loss, being more vocal, runny poo or frequent urination?Are his gums still pink and wet?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No thank you
Those phone call requests are sent automatically, I am happy to continue talking via typing.Did you see my questions above?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
he's only being vocal prior to vomiting otherwise everything else is OK
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
A few vomits in an otherwise well cat is not always a big concern and could be a viral infection or gastroenteritis due to eating something he shouldn't have.We would advise keeping him inside and starving him for 12 hours before introducing bland food such as boiled chicken and rice.Encourage rest and drinking and monitor closely for other symptoms such as dry or pale gums, abdominal bloating or diarrhoea. If he continues to vomit, he would need to see a vet in case of e.g. a gastric obstruction or toxin ingestion.I am somewhat concerned about his recent increased thirst as, if not explained by e.g. warm weather of a change in diet, this could indicate an underlying health issue. An increased thirst in a senior cat can be linked to e.g. kidney disease or diabetes. If the drinking continues, we would advise a blood and urine test.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Many thanks for your time and advice.