Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has got a greasy and sticky and smelly residue on his

My cat has got a greasy and brown sticky and smelly residue on his tail. It is causing redness and flaky bits when brushed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Further info: He is a male un-neutered large Maine Coon (14.5 KG) He had this condition previously and we shaved his tail as we thought it may have been caused by some faeces (as he has long fur) It did not really seem to help and as his fur has grown a little longer since then, it is still red and looks sore.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
2 and a half years of age).
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (4PT3GGG)

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

The excellent photos reveal tail gland hyperplasia (stud tail). This is tail gland hyperplasia - a seborrheic condition associated with hyperplastic (enlargement of normal cells) sebaceous glands in the tail gland area. The treatment and prognosis is as follows:

1) Appropriate systemic antibiotics should be administered for 3-4 weeks if the lesion in cats is secondarily infected. I believe that that's the case with your cat.

2) Clinical improvement in cats may be seen with localized topical antiseborrheic therapy applied on an as-needed basis. Shampoos containing some combination of benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, salicylic acid and phytosphingosine can be found over the counter where pet supplies are sold.

3) In intact male cats, castration may induce partial to complete lesion regression or may prevent further lesion enlargement.

4) The prognosis is good. This is a cosmetic disease that doesn't affect his quality of life.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.