Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is 20 years old. She has had some mobility issues for

Hi my cat is 20 years old. She has had some mobility issues for a while. Nothing that appeared too serious but last week she was unable to get out of her cat flap and defected on the floor. She then seemed to collapse from exhaustion. We took her to an out of hours vet who checked her over and did some tests. They tested kidney and liver function, both were ok. She had also been drinking more water and less food. Her heart had a slight arrhythmia but the vet sent her home. Since then aprox 36 hours she does not want to leave her cat carry box and seems to try and sleep in different positions. She has had some water and a very small amount of food but has not ventured far out of the box. Earlier I took her from her box to the kitchen and feed her. She licked the food and then walked back to the other room. Her walking was like a drunk person almost falling a number of times. The vet was going to arrange for some pain relief medication to collect on Monday incase it is arthritis. At the moment she is very still and is weaker than normal. She is laying in her carry box not making any noises. She doesn't seem to want any petting, not fighting back but just not interested. I am about 15 hours away from the local veterinary clinic opening although there is a 24 hour emergency vets around 20 miles away. My gut feeling is that maybe I should take her to this vet but they charge more money than I have for an out of hours consultation. Sadly I have no pet insurance due to cat age. Any advice would be much appreciated.
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. What's the cat's name?
Customer: Tiggy
JA: Hi there. Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Her mobility is worse today than 2 days ago
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also they tested for diabetes and the results well negative. We have watched breathing when asleep and it seems to be 15 to 20 breaths a minute.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Additional information the vet tested her temperature and this was normal.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They also did an ultrasound because her stomach hangs down and the were looking for liquids.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again the results were normal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the vets 2 days ago she could walk better than today and appeared more interested in petting
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Tiggy has these issues.Her recent deterioration is a concern and could have several causes such as exacerbated arthritis, a slipped disc, heart failure, a stroke, a brain tumour etc.At this age, arthritis is highly likely as 90% of cats over the age of 12 have arthritis.A pain relief trial may well be sensible, but there may be more going on than just arthritis. We may need further tests such as a CT or MRI scan to get our diagnosis. If finances are a concern, a medical trial would be a good alternative.If at all possible, I would go to the emergency vet now and think it is worth the cost as she may deteriorate overnight.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Take care,Linda.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi linda, thankyou for your quick response. I will take her now to the out of hours vet. Thankyou again for your advice.
That's great.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and check in at any time.Take care and all the best to Tiggy,Linda
I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK? Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.