Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat’s bottom lip is swollen and we just noticed it. He

Hi, my cat’s bot***** *****p is swollen and we just noticed it. He doesn’t want to eat and it swelled up overnight
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: energy seems okay, appetite this morning
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: He seems to be a bit fussy about being picked up and he doesn’t usually mind it
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: aslan and he is 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No that should be it. Got a photo of the lip if it helps
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (66PSP24)
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.What a sweet kitty!Thank you for this clear photo.This is a rodent ulcer, part of the Eosinophilic granuloma complex that isn't uncommon in cats.It can be linked to allergies such as a food or flea allergy.A vet can prescribe medicine such as steroids and antibiotics which can speed up recovery.Ensure Aslan is up to date with a good quality flea prevention and consider a ceramic bowl and hypoallergenic diet.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Take care,Linda.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr Linda!Thank you so much for your prompt response. I panicked when I started googling what it could be. Your response was extremely helpful.Thank you so much!
Maria

Ah that is good to hear.

A new lump can be scary but luckily this lip swelling is common and easily identifiable.

If there is anything else, just let me know.

All the best to Aslan!

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK? Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Dr Simmon,
I just noticed my cat has a medium sized bald patch at the back of his leg, it doesn't look very red or irritated but I am not sure if it could be connected?
Thanks!
Hi there, for any new questions could I please ask you open a new request? A vet will assist you promptly!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! I have just done :)
Thanks!