Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

For five days now my rather large cat has been vomiting

Hi. For five days now my rather large cat has been vomiting every time he eats. When he only had water for one day there was no vomiting but obv l can't starve him. What could be the problem??
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: There is food in the vomit and it's liquidy
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Don't think so. He is completely indoor cat....never been outside...and has been eating same food for years which is dry cat food
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Name is***** think he is 14....
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Chucky?
Customer: Well he is obese but has been for years. He not at all active.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, when can we expect a response time?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.Has Chucky had any recent weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst or abdominal bloating?When did he last see a vet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has NEVER seen a vet since he was sterilised.....
Does Chucky have any other symptoms as listed above? Or was he perfectly normal until this all started 5 days ago?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he was perfectly fine....
Ok, thank you.Any chance he has had access to a toxin such as a houseplant, cleaning product or human medicine? Or perhaps he had eaten some rich food or something indigestible like wool or string?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To be fair that might be true. As we have a balcony witch he frequents and l have just started planting flowers for summer ...
Do you know if any are those toxic to cats, such as a lily, daffodil or sago palm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope.......haven't planted those
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope haven't planted those
It is important to check if the plants your cat has access to may be toxic.5 days is a long time to be unwell.The real worry is that cats who are over weight can develop fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis) after just a few days of not eating.The cause can be due to e.g. an infection, hepatitis, an upset stomach, eating a certain plant etc. but these cats can then become very unwell due to the fact they have not been eating as they should.From all you are said, I would be very worried Chucky has hepatic lipidosis.There are other possibilities of course, including e.g. pancreatitis, a gastric obstruction, kidney disease etc.I would want him seen ASAP so a vet can examine him and they may wish to run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan .He may need to be admitted on a drip with supplemental feeds and medicine such as antibiotics and pain relief.I wouldn't advise waiting any longer or trying to treat him at home as it has been too many days with no improvement.
I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?
Please let me know if there is anything else and you are welcome to keep me updated over the next few days.