Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has been going to the toilet a lot recently. Passing

My cat has been going to the toilet a lot recently. Passing very small amounts of urine. Roughly a 1/2 - 1 tsp each time. But she is also doing regular size wee at other times if the day. She is not making any pain related sounds when urinating. She is also not licking he groin/vagina more than normal.She has been diagnosed with feline idiopathic cystitis before due to stress. She takes a 1 supplement daily for thisshe is not lethargic or acting strange (other than the urinating).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed any changes in the cat's appetite?
Customer: No
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: 14 Years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: My cat has been going to the toilet a lot recently. Passing very small amounts of urine. Roughly a 1/2 - 1 tsp each time. But she is also doing regular size wee at other times if the day. She is not making any pain related sounds when urinating. She is also not licking he groin/vagina more than normal.She has been diagnosed with feline idiopathic cystitis before due to stress. She takes a 1 supplement daily for thisshe is not lethargic or acting strange (other than the urinating).
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear she has this issue.Certainly, another bout of cystitis is quite possible.
Other considerations would include bladder stones, a bladder mass or kidney disease.It is important to have her assessed and have her urine analysed for e.g. bacteria, crystals or blood.At her age, bacterial infections become more common and she may need a course of antibiotics.At home, continue her supplements and encourage plenty of water drinking.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this an issue where I can make a regular appointment with the vet within 48 hours, or does it need to be more urgent than that?
This ultimately depends on her. If she seems uncomfortable, she should be seen ASAP as she may need some anti inflammatories or pain relief.
Similarly, if struggling to pass urine at any time, this is a true emergency.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you for your help

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK? Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.