Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has swelling in his nose bridge and forehead

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this clear

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course

This swelling usually indicates a bite wound abscess if Imaan had associated with other cats. Is that the case, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is an outdoor cat so it is possible

Thank you. An abscess, then, makes the most sense. Imaan's vet will need to open it widely, flush it with an antimicrobial solution, debride (devitalized tissue removed), and prescribe a systemic antibiotic to be given for 5-7 days. Light anesthesia may need to be provided. The wound is either left open to drain or a drain is sewn into the partially closed wound.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would I need to take him to the vet as soon as possible? It’s just that I cannot at the moment

It's best that any infection be attended to at your earliest convenience. This may open and drain but it would still a vet's attention.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay - I may only be able to take him to the vet tomorrow - should I look out for any alarming symptoms

I'm pleased to hear this. No, fever might cause inappetence, however.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your help

It's my pleasure. My best to Imaan.