Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat has been sick twice to day she was fine yesterday

Customer Question

My cat has been sick twice to day she was fine yesterday manged to get some tuna down her but that’s all she had she not purring when I call her her tail wags she has been shaking a little like stopping and starting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. In addition to the shaking, have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling?
Customer: no none
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: coco and she’s 1 in September
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 12 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of her?
The following discussion will focus on methods to stabilize more until able to discuss here more. It is critical to keep working on maintaining fluid and energy intake. Nutrical is a high energy food supplement that can be found at pet stores or online. It has energy and vitamins in it to assist when not feeling well. It comes in a tube like toothpaste which can make it easy to administer. Ensure they stay warm as they they are prone to getting more chilled. Normal temperature is 100-101F. A heating pad or socks filled with rice warmed in a microwave can help to keep core temperature up too.If becomes weaker and not taking oral supplementation well, then can use a syringe to gently place sugar water or sugar milk replacer in the mouth. Karo Syrup also can be placed on the gums to assist in getting blood sugar levels back up.
To stimulate appetite one can offer more appetizing foods like milk, yogurt, meat, chicken, turkey, fish, or eggs. Warming the food in the microwave also can make the the food more appealing and may stimulate appetite better too. Canned food is often more appetizing than the dry food. In addition looking forward the items with more gravy may stimulate appetite more than the pate.Nutrical is a high energy food supplement that can be found at pet stores or online. It has energy and vitamins in it to assist when not feeling well. It comes in a tube like toothpaste which can make it easy to administer.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She’s been fine am worrying as she’s not drinking or eating been sick 3 times twice the smoring once’s about half 2pm she’s hideing away and every now and then she a bit like vibrating then stops if that makes sense
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (SP5V747)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The gums are nice and pink so I wasent to worried but she’s weak I soon as she’s up she wants to be bk down
She is gorgeous.
If you lift up on the skin over the shoulder blades. Does it go down right away or slow like leather ? This is a test for dehydration. If it goes back slowly then there likely is some degree of dehydration occurring. If the skin goes back rapidly. Then likely normal hydration status.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Down right away

That is very good that not dehydrated also.

Have the stools been more firm recently?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She likes to go out side so it’s hard to know av kept her in to keep a eye on her littler box she hasent been since I have been home she’s just lyeing around she’s been out of heat for about a week and a bit now also her first time I can see in her eyes there something wrong she refused ham ! That’s not coco
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When I say her name her tail start wagging but I just know she’s not her self
One can tell from the video does not feel well. Given the history and signs it will be best to be seen at a clinic for examination and potential lab work to assess for the cause.
Not being interested in ham and the look in that face are signs just not feeling so well overall.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do u think it will pass or should I take her to the vet it’s very expensive so hopeing I can get payment plan or something
It really depends on what is going on as to how will progress and move forward. Until you are able to be seen focusing on the ways to stabilize as discussed above for fluids and energy intake will be most important.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Coco today. I wish Coco a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She’s been at her water
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh she’s eaten some tuna now as well am hopeing this will just pass over
That is good, then offering some milk or yogurt may also help with energy and fluid intake. Happy to hear about the yogurt also.