JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

We have just adopted an adult elderly (about 14 years)

Hi, we have just adopted an adult elderly (about 14 years) female cat (two weeks) but doesn't seem to be settling well. She is very restless and wanders around a lot, coming and going to her litter box frequently, although producing very little urine. Also she doesn't appear to be drinking very much either. She produces faeces between one and two days and these are rather hard although seem of normal size. Her diet is a mixture of wet and dry food - about 200gms wet and 30gms dry. She weights about nine pounds and her abdomen feels a little firm.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the cat seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No, she doesn't but I'm not sure she is sleeping very well with all the wandering around.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Tallulah
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We don't know her medical history or even the last time she visited a vet.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concern with you cat. Tallulah.

Her signs of being restless, going in and out of the litter tray frequently and passing only very small amounts of urine are classic signs of her having cystitis. We see this commonly in cats , particularly if they are stressed and her new environment may be a cause of this until she has settled in.

I would recommend making an appointment for her at your local vets so they can perform a full clinical exam , in particular to feel her bladder to make sure nothing else concerning is occurring as stones in the bladder can be palpated sometimes if they are large. Cystitis is often painful so she will require medications to make her feel more comfortable and to help resolve the signs- usually anti inflammatories and often supplements to improve bladder health such as nutra cyst. you vet may also recommend imaging ( x ray or ultrasound) to check the lining of the bladder. As she is in the older age bracket they may also recommend blood tests which would be useful to check all her organs are functioning normally.

the things you can do in the house to make her feel more comfortable include making sure there is multiple litter trays , some more private with hoods, making sure she has access to water, some cats prefer running water. you can try using plug ins such as feliway or nutra calm tablets which can help with the stress until she feels comfortable in her new environment.

further information on this can be seen on this website which is useful and one i provider to cat owners regularly: https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
V good