Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Can you assess blood results for cats? my cat has been

Can you assess blood results for cats?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: my cat has been unwell for almost 2 weeks now. He has been given steroids and antibiotics. Just has blood results showing very high white cell count and neutrophils
JA: The Expert will know how to help with this. Does he ever go outside?
Customer: he does not go outside. He is an indoor cat 5 year old Ragdoll
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Winter
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He developed left sided lung consolidation that has resolved. My vet suggested i give him noroclav tonight.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
These are his current blood results
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
These are the medications he was given
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (T54MG5L)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (4V2Z3TP)

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

I see a slight increase in globulins which tells me that his immune system had been stimulated. I see a significant leukocytosis (increase in white blood cells) involving most all of the white blood cells. This occurs with systemic inflammation.

However, neither the slight increase in globulins nor the systemic inflammation tells us the cause which could be infection, immune-mediated disorders, neoplasia (cancer), and even severe allergy (unlikely). Imaging of the chest (X-rays) and ultrasound of the abdomen would be my next diagnostics to see if I could spot a focus of inflammation.

He was prescribed two antibiotics and a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug - shots in the dark at this time.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He did not have xray imaging yet as the vet was concerned about his respiratory issues last week. Worried he might not wake up. Ultrasound confirmed left sided long consolidation that appparently is resolving or has resolved upon auscultation.They suggested IV fluids for him. I did urinalysis today that did show leukocytes. Should I force feed him fluids to help his immune system? Kindly suggest what I can do for him at home before I visit the vet again on Tuesday. It’s a bank holiday here in Ireland.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I just regained his appetite today. Eating very well and drinking whiskas cat’s milk. Thank you for your replies

If he's eating and drinking now, simply giving him his prescribed meds should suffice. You're quite welcome.

"Consolidation" isn't clear to me but I never argue with success.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you. Regarding allergy i forgot to mention he was recently vaccinated for cat flu in 2 successive months last April and May. Then 10 days after his second vaccination he got sick. Until his vaccinations he was never sick.Can I also ask if i need to have him tested for FIP too?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Michael should I give him a pain killer to alleviate any discomfort he is feeling? I am a health care professional too, I might have medications here I could give him?I

I can't blame his vaccines at this late date. FIP testing is fraught with peril. The gold standard of diagnostics is immunohistochemistry staining of FCoV (feline coronavirus) antigen in macrophages of tissues with typical histopathologic lesions. This requires histopathology of tissue samples obtained through laparotomy, laparoscopy, or post mortem. The NSAID meloxicam should provide pain relief.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I see. Poor cat.I have loxicam for cats available. The vet mentioned I should not give it anymore since my cat is on oral steroids (prednisolone).
Are they contraindicated in cats? I was worried to about the side effects of meloxicam. But I prefer that he is pain free.

Correct. A nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug mustn't be onboard concurrently with a steroid. That risks gastrointestinal ulceration. If additional analgesia is needed, a narcotic can be prescribed.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Understood. Presently, I should just continue giving him his prednisolone 5mg X OD and recommence Noroclav 50 mgx BD?Michael would it be a good idea to switch him to Doxycycline?

That decision is best made by his attending vet who knows Winter than I could.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Copy. I will give them a call about that.He is stable at present. Eating better and drinking. If i have furthermore information and blood works on him can I message you again?

Yes. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you Michael. Will do so. I feel much better after talking to you know.