JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My cat Oz was in a cat fight on Wednesday. He was limping

My cat Oz was in a cat fight on Wednesday. He was limping and lethargic. We took hi. To the vet that day. She couldn't find any bites or anything else. She gave a painkiller and told us to watch him. The limp improved for a couple of days. Yesterday the limp was worse and the lower leg feels a bit swollen. He is ok otherwise. Eating ok. Perhaps a bit more sleepy. Is it ok to wait for the vet until tomorrow or should he go today?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How has the cat's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: Appetite fine. No change in stool.
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No. This was definitely the result of the fight
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: OZ. Rehomed cat so not absolutely sure of age bit around 13.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: OZ. Rehomed cat so not absolutely sure of age bit around 13.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. im sorry to hear of your concern with your cat, Oz. we see these episodes regularly in cats who get in fights. Often they initially lead to something thats painful from a bite or scratch showing as a limp. If the leg is now swollen this could be that an infection is now starting- these often take a few days to become evident and result in swellings or an abscesses over a bite or scratch wound -often these can be difficult to find initially as fur hides wounds well.

As the limp is worse , I would recommend seeing a vet today to provide additional pain relief on to what they have already provided and for a further examination of the limb to see if there is an abscess developed. they may try and remove the fluid from it is one is there, if the bite is close to a joint on the leg that may recommend keeping Oz in for fluids and monitoring as joint infections can make cats quite sick.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake