Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I am concerned that my cat has eaten a rat which may have

Customer Question

Hi, I am concerned that my cat has eaten a rat which may have been poisoned. He poised is Safire Grain which has 0.005% Brodifacoum.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much of the poison did the cat eat? Has he vomited?
Customer: I havnt seen him vomiting, he has been going downhill for the last 2 days. Lathergic and growls if you pick him up. Today he has good very hunched back and can’t really walk. He looks very stiff. He has just had a big drink of water and is eating ok.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear your cat is so unwell.Given all you have said I would advise an immediate vet visit.Unfortunately, eating a poisoned rodent can kill a cat. However, there is an antidote and the sooner it is given the better.The poison used causes internal bleeding so signs can be vague and may include lethargy, pale gums, fast breathing, pain etc.The vet will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test. He may be started on a drip and given vitamin K injections. The sooner this is done the better.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** could it take for the poison to kill him if left untreated? I will take him to the vets now but it is a long way away.
Unfortunately there is no definitive answer. Internal bleeding, if it has occured, will occur in different places and to a different extent depending on the patient.
Certainly, it can happen quickly and I would be bringing him as soon as possible given his worrying symptoms.