Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

About a month ago Picasso was sneezing after the course it

Customer Question

About a month ago Picasso was sneezing after the course it becomes bette but for the past 2 weeks it started again and seems from time to time sneeze and his throat is a little loose.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the cat been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: Sorry I did not finish Again sorry - He is well in himself, eat and drink well and use with litter totally normally, this is it - many thanks - Catherine
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the cat been licking or scratching his skin?
Customer: He groom quite a lot but I have not seen a great increase, he always has groomed a lot
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Picasso
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No he act normally apart for this
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Picasso has this issue.What age is he?
To clarify, when did the sneezing start?
Does he have any other signs such as a cough, fast breathing, nasal discharge or retching?I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He started about 4 months ago, I took him to the Vet and was given some medication (cannot remember the name) the treatment was for 2 weeks and he was better, he has no fast breathing, just sneeze without discharge, his throat is little loose when he sneeze, I would say at the most 3 times a day, it is kind of a cough more at the time 'banged up' a little cannot quite describe it. Otherwise he is well in himself. Thank you
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.A sneeze going on for such a long time is a concern and I would recommend further testing at this stage.Potential causes would include allergic rhinitis (like hay fever), an infection (which may be viral, bacterial or fungal), a foreign body (such as a grass seed), a benign polyp growth etc.The nose should be swabbed and we may consider some imaging such as a rhinoscopy.Treatment would depend on what is going on but e.g. if there is a growth or grass awn, this should be removed under anaesthetic.An alternative would be to trial another course of medicine; potentially some different antibiotics alongside anti inflammatories.I would ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke and cooking fumes.Hopefully we can get on top of this soon.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Linda.