Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

More a psycological prob really but at our wits end! Cat

More a psycological prob really but at our wits end! Cat keeps bringing mice in at night and onto the bed, dead or alive! Can't shut cat flap 'cos he destroys them, if we shut bedroom door he rips carpet, shut the utility room where cat flap is he rattles it so hard we can't sleep anyway, just run out of ideas, do you have any please?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation?
Customer: He has always hunted but not to this extent. My new partner lost his wife 2 years ago, then cats Siamese girlfriend had to be put down, in middle of those 2 things I moved in with my cat and dog, so his life has been a lot of upheaval lately and although my dog is fine with him and he with her, my cat tries to bully him any chance he gets. After trying to get them friends for 4 months we have given up on that and simply keep them apart. Hunter cat is 8 and mine is 17 years old.
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No medication and out a lot unless it rains , but he is quite used to sleeping in the shed in a cosy bed there, long before I came here. We don't want him to go completely feral.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Woody, the 8 year old, mine is Sox.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Don't think so, neither cat has any health problems except Sox is going deaf, but at 17 not a surprise. Woody is wormed regularly.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Cats often bring vermin in to the home as a sign of their appreciation for us.To try and stop this behavior we should:
Have a bell on his collar so the rodents hear him coming and he is less successful.
Ensure he is always well fed.
Play hunting type games at home (laser chasing, toy mouse pouncing) to satisfy his natural urges.
Keep him as occupied as you can. This means encouraging indoor exercise, brain games, cat puzzles etc. The more we give him to do, the less likely he is going to get up to mischief.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** always well fed and has biscuits ad lib as well. We will try a collar with a bell, if we can get him to wear one without fighting it, as far as I know he hasn't had one before. We realise he is bringing us presents, just wish it were chocolates instead! Will also try games. Many thanks, Angela
Haha, agreed, chocolates on the pillow would be far superior!
Good luck.