Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is struggling to go to the toilet. Keeps trying and

My cat is struggling to go to the toilet. Keeps trying and passing little fluid. She went in my wet room this morning which she has never done before there was some blood.
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the fluid. Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She goes outside and always does her toilet outside. No medication. 8yr old British shorthair
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Susie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is normally a happy cat who eats and drinks well. Not so much this last few days which she never does when it is hot. bit more fussy than usual.
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much is this service.
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Her bottom looks a little red
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.This could mean Susie has cystitis (bladder inflammation), a urinary tract infection, bladder stones or kidney disease.It is very important she sees a vet to check her over and analyse her urine. If concerned, they may also scan her bladder.If she isn't able to pass a good quantity of urine this is a true emergency as it could lead to a ruptured bladder.
Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.Try to encourage her to eat wet food and drink plenty of water at home.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you How can you analyse her urine when she pees in the garden?
It would either mean bringing her inside for 24 hours with a litter tray or having the vet take the sample in the clinic (they can sometimes express the bladder when squeezing, or otherwise will use a very small needle).
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks I have booked the vet for 5.20pm
Ok, great.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated.All the very best,Linda
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Vet has given me Loxicom. Thinks it is an urine infection. No temperature or swollen bladder.
I'm glad to hear all was well on her exam and fingers crossed her signs resolve shortly.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My vet thought Susie had cystitis and gave me Loxicom for 5 days. On reading leaflet it says it is a pain killer usually used after operations. I was expecting antibiotics. Is this usual?
Loxicom is the most common treatment for cystitis yes.Cystitis is rarely caused by bacteria in cats, especially in those under the age of 12.This website should help explain further:https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not a problem!