Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Can I help my female cat with cystitis? She is in pain, her

Customer Question

Can I help my female cat with cystitis? She is in pain
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. Where does the cat seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: her bladder and she has been in pain 4 days
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: yes she goes outdoors but no medication
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: bella 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bella?
Customer: spayed
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Bella. Caretakers are constrained to aspirin as the only over the counter analgesic safe for cats at a dose of 5 mg per pound of bodyweight every 48 hours at Bella's age. You must avoid the toxic acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen.

Both bacterial urinary tract infection and idiopathic (unknown cause) cystitis are important considerations when either hematuria (blood in the urine) or stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) had arisen. Bacterial urinary tract infection is quite rare in male cats (more rare in the USA than elsewhere). Bella'svet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of the bladder through the abdominal wall – the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine, and perform a complete urinalysis in an attempt to clarify which urinary disorder is present. We need to consider urinary calculi (stones) and neoplasia (benign and malignant) in the urinary tract as well.

If infection is found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually chosen to be given for 7-10 days. The urine should be rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotic had been completed to make sure that the urinary tract had been sterilized. If no infection is present, treatment consists of diluting the urine with supplemental fluids and feeding wet food only (a prescription wet food might be recommended by the vet) plus analgesia in the form of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.