Dr. Erin
Dr. Erin, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
109517959

What’s the safest way to transport a cat in a car? I keep

Customer Question

Hi, what’s the safest way to transport a cat in a car? I keep seeing contradictory advice about this on different websites. I generally hold my cat’s carrier on my lap in the front passenger seat - is this okay or are there better ways of doing it? My cat is very relaxed and unlikely to get upset no matter what I do, I’m just thinking in terms of crash safety.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Erin replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Erin.  I am a licensed Veterinarian with over 20 years of experience.  You may see a phone call request that is automatically generated by the website. If you prefer, select the phone call option for an additional fee.  You may ignore the request, and we will continue the chat via text. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you.

Veterinary Practice Laws in my state only allow me to provide general advice regarding your pet’s health condition. I cannot provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications without performing an in- person physical exam on your pet.  I will help you decide if the problem with your pet is something you can manage at home, or if additional diagnostic testing or treatment needs to be performed by a veterinarian.

It takes a little time to write my answers to you, so please be patient as I may be writing a message to you or another concerned pet. owner.

This is a great question!  I think the answer depends on a few things….

1. Your vehicle - where does the crate fit safely?  Somewhere it can be secured with either the seatbelt, or bungee straps.

2. If you hold the carrier, and have to stop short - you will be forced into the carrier and you may have airbag deployment…. So I generally feel that this is not very safe.

3. The pets demeanor. Some wish to be close to their people (usually dogs), many cats like to be covered with a light colored sheet over the carrier to allow light, but not see the world flying by through the windows.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, thanks! Would you recommend putting the carrier in the back seat of the car instead, with a seat belt around it? It’s just a simple plastic crate with no straps.
Expert:  Dr. Erin replied 15 days ago.

To Me this seems most secure to both the driver, passenger and cat (inside carrier) secured with seatbelt.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok great, thanks!