Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Not eating and quiet sleeping most of the time. Tried food

Customer Question

Not eating and quiet sleeping most of the time. Tried food but has been sick twice. No fur loss. Retching now and again.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: small male cat about six years old
JA: When did you first notice this decrease in the cat's appetite?
Customer: four days ago. Normally good eater.
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: not sure but unusually quiet. In crouching position. Eyes clear but not alert.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: responds to Kitten but down with vet as Sooty. Cannot have an appointment with them until tomorrow and worried if he deteriorates.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Rescued cat found under a hedge as a three month old kitten. Neutered and had worming tablet about five days ago but may have vomited it up. Kept in house since yesterday evening.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet. I'm sorry to hear Sooty has been unwell.This sounds very concerning.
Are his gums pink and wet?
Is he passing normal poo and pee?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

As his signs have persisted more thab 48 hours he is at real risk of dehydration and low blood sugar.

His symptoms aren't specific and could have many causes including a recent toxin ingestion, pancreatitis, hepatitis, gut obstruction etc.

I would advise a vet visit ASAP, even if this means an out of hours clinic. They will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan. Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and fluids.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.