Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat looks like she's been bitten in her rear end near her

Customer Question

My cat looks like she's been bitten in her rear end near her tail. There's a puncture wound. We are all isolating for 10 days so I can't get to a vet. She's eating well and walking okay.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is everything okay with the cat's breathing and heart rate?
Customer: Yes
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lottie and she's about 2 yrs, she is a rescue.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lottie?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Ideally, Lottie would be examined and she would be started on some anti inflammatories and antibiotics. These infections infections be painful and can also spread.As you are isolating, perhaps a friend or neighbour could take her on your behalf?At home, we are limited. You can bathe the wound in saline and use a buster collar to prevent licking.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I think I will have to try and bathe it. After 2 years she is still extremely timid and only allows me to stroke her head and only when she's eating. Thank you though for the advice.
I understand, it is never easy to bathe an injured spot, especially in an anxious kitty.You may find it safer once the buster collar is on.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.