Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My cat has diarea after she eats wet food, ,yesterday and

Customer Question

my cat has diarea after she eats wet food
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the diarrhea start? Could the cat have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: ,yesterday and not that i know of she goes out in the garden with the.other cats
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: latte 9 momths
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Latte?
Customer: noCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ok ty
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 16 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of? Has she been dewormed recently?

The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.

More soft food will be softer and more soothing on the GI tract too. Canned food, ground chicken, turkey, fish, or eggs can also be considered.

Psyllium, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. This can be added to the food you are currently using and can be used as long as it takes for the stools to form better. It may be good to go an additional 3-5 days longer than when the stools return to normal also. Psyllium husk can be found over the counter at the pharmacy. Metamucil is one brand name, there may be many generic powder forms also to look for. It is also easily mixed in with the softer food too.

Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also

https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2

If it has been some time since deworming has been performed, then deworming to address potential parasites may be most beneficial also. There is an over the counter dewormer containing Praziquantel and Pyrantel. The Praziquantel will address tapeworms and the Pyrantel will address roundworms and hookworms. After treatment you may notice more worms in the stools for the next few days as the worms are passing out. This is normal as the dewormer is killing the worms and they are being removed. It can be most beneficial to repeat the dose two weeks later for more control of roundworms. Tapeworms will look like rice and roundworms and hookworms will look like spaghetti. If the stools remain loose then will be most beneficial to have a fecal sample tested for potential parasites at a veterinarian clinic also.

Often worms are not seen in the stools, only the microscopic eggs are seen in the stools under the microscope at a clinic. Often if worms are present they will remain in the GI tract and are not always seen.  This is why I mentioned the deworming also.

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Latte today. I wish Latte  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ty
Happy to help.