Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Cat vomiting contains blood a day after giving him deworming

Customer Question

cat vomiting contains blood a day after giving him deworming pill
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no he has been off his food since getting the pill
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sammy 14 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We just got him back from a friend who was looking after him for a year, he is thinner than usual
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.It is unlikely the wormer is to blame.Given Sammy's age and weight loss, I suspect there is an underlying issue.There are many considerations including liver or kidney disease, a cancer, inflammatory bowel disease etc.It is important he is seen by a vet who can run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan. Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and ant acids.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated.