Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has a high respiratory rate after just walking

My cat has a high respiratory rate after just walking around, but after he settles down, it drops back to 30. When sleeping it is between 20-25. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am in covid isolation for another week so unable to take him to the vets.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (M14Q6Z2)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We have moved into a new house a week ago, he has been a little on edge since then.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am mostly worried about heart failure as I know increased respiratory rate is a sign. Is this only when they are sleeping though? If his RR is normal when sleeping, does that reduce the chances of this?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
otherwise he is acting his usual, still cleaning/eating/using the litter tray
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I am just reviewing your video now.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, thank you very much
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
about 2 minutes after the video was taken, his RR went back down to 30 where it is now
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he was running around about 5/10 minutes prior to that video, but the faster rate does seem to occur after not much exertion and just walking around/being generally active
I am concerned from the video as this is a very high respiratory rate for a cat at rest.We expect a breathing rate of 30 breaths a minute or less while sleeping and while at rest.Certainly, walking shouldn't increase respiratory rate in this manner.While heart rate is one possibility, there are many other considerations including asthma, lungworm, pneumonia, a fever etc.I would bring him to the vet today.
They will check him over and listen to his heart and lungs and may run some tests such as a chest xray.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
this was the message to the assistant, I don't know if you can see it or not 'My cat has a high respiratory rate after just walking around, but after he settles down, it drops back to 30. When sleeping it is between 20-25. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am in covid isolation for another week so unable to take him to the vets.'
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
when he starts to rest, his RR is high, but after a while it always drops down to 30 again
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
would you recommend that I try to find someone to take him to the vets for me, or would we be ok to monitor him for another week until we are out of isolation?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Could the stress of moving into a new house be causing this?
I have seen all of your messages and am concerned he is breathing too fast considering what he is doing.Stress shouldn't cause this as an ongoing issue, no.I would advise you have a friend, family member or neighbour have him examined as I wouldn't be comfortable waiting a week.Ensure he spends a minimal amount of time in transport and is kept cool while travelling.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If you could respond soon that would be great please as I am panicking
I sent my reply to your most recent questions 10 minutes ago.Replies should be on this screen and in your email inbox.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you see the questions and extra information I have sent since?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh I can't see the one from 10 minutes ago
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
only the first one 20 minutes ago
That new reply should be on this page but, if not, is in your email inbox.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok thank you I will get someone to take him to the vets
That's great. This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have. Wishing him all the very best.