Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Sorry for the unpleasant photo - this is my cat’s, which is

Customer Question

Hi, sorry for the unpleasant photo - this is my cat’s butt, which is very dirty because he’s a longhair and hasn’t been able to go to the groomer for two months due to unrelated medical issues. Bathing him at home is always ineffective (the poop is too stuck to the fur and doesn’t come out) and highly stressful for him. He has a groomer appointment booked in a week’s time, is it ok to leave it until then or should I ask the vet if they can do something about it?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 17 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
With an electric hair trimmer or one for pets the hair can be shaved from the rectal region quite safely to remove the debris and dirty hair and also to help prevent material from building up in the future. The following discussion will focus on the red and irritated skin.
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applieed. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can webe sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.Until able to acquire the above items. The area can be cleaned with dilute Chlorhexidine. This can be found at the pharmacy over the counter. It may go by the name Hibiclens or Hibiscrub. Then can apply triple antibiotic ointment to assist with potential infection. Topical hydrocortisone or lidocaine can assist with itch and inflammation.These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.If able to trim the hair back some from the edges it may also allow for more airflow and drying of the area and slow the spread of these issues. As the hair holds in moisture and this can lead to more bacteria and yeast to start growing. They may not like the area cleaned however it can be most helpful.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks! Unfortunately he doesn’t tolerate having the area touched at all, it was very difficult to get a photo of it because he doesn’t even want me to look at it. This is always the case even when it’s not dirty. Assuming that I’m unable to clean the area or shave the fur myself, is it ok to wait a week for the groomer appointment or should I take him to the vet sooner than that?
Perhaps you can try the sprays and also can rinse off like under the shower. As long as is stable in regards ***** ***** drinking, urinating and defecating and active. Then likely may be able to wait. If becomes less stable best to be seen sooner. We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this.
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one  today. I wish for  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.