JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

I have 3 kittens that I gave hand reared. One is showing

Customer Question

I have 3 kittens that I gave hand reared. One is showing symptoms of car flu
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the flu yet? How long has this been going on with the kitten?
Customer: No I haven't spoken to a vet and I only noticed it yesterday. The mother is a carrier
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: I have named him chunk for now because he is the biggest.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Chunk?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet, Im sorry to hear of your concerns with your kitten Chunk. cat flu and other upper respiratory viruses which cause similar symptoms are a common.  we see often these in larger cat colonies which are un vaccinated though as you mentioned single cats can carry the virus and can have flare ups at times of stress or where other infections are present. it can often lead to upper respiratory signs including sneezing, runny eyes and nose, sometimes the ocular and nasal discharge can be quite marked and ulcers can be present in the eyes and mouth too , in chronic carriers it can be difficult to clear this and can often lead to changes in the lining of the nose and sinuses which fails to regenerate leading to persistent symptoms.

if the mother is a carrier then the kittens have likely already been exposed. if chunk is showing signs then it would be worth him having a full clinical exam by your local vets , they will be able to provide medications to help reduce the inflammation in the nose and provide medications if any secondary infection is occurring. it would be worth getting the kittens vaccinated when they are the appropriate age to help provide them with some immunity so they dont have chronic long term signs later in life.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. jake