Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've found an abandoned kitten in my garden. It's clearly

Customer Question

Hi, I've found an abandoned kitten in my garden. It's clearly very hungry, mewing a lot. It's able to walk & run, but still bit wobbly. And can't jump from a height. Seems to get cold feet but warms up if cuddled or kept close to body. Has bright blue eyes wide open and incisors top & bottom. Tried to eat dried toast that was left out but didn't like butter. I tried it with some whiskas kitten milk for age 6 week's up which it seems to tolerate. Can you give me any advice please? I live in a small rural village. All shops are closed now and some small ones will be open tomorrow from 1pm. How can I care for it and what do I need to feed it? And how often/frequently? Also can it be left alone yet or is it too young? Thank you
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this increase in the kitten's appetite? Any changes in weight?
Customer: We've just found it in the garden today. It's from a stray cat which we've been feeding in the shed in the garden. I don't know when the appetite change started. I was working today and heard the kitten crying, but couldn't find it, then found it some hours later up by the house hiding by the pot plants, mewing. The mom cat normally comes back around early morning or late evening time but her food was untouched today.
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: we've called it stardust (kids named it). My husband is mildly allergic to cats - rhinorrhea, itchy nose. So that's why we're trying to keep them fed but in the shed.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: This is the first time I'm looking after an orphaned kitten. I did work as a vets assistant years ago but was more sterilising equipment, reception duties and holding animals still. Not so involved with care of animals directly. Altho I've had my own horse. If I'm given clear instructions I can help this little kitten out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Ideally, the little kitten would be seen by a vet who can provide a health check and also give it any flea or wormer it needs.The most appropriate diet would be kitten milk and a kitten weaning food such as Royal Canin Mother & Kitten mousse. If unable to get this right now, boiled chicken and rice could be offered as a very short term substitute.Kittens need to be fed regularly, every 4 hours or so.If you're sure the mother is dead or gone, it would ideally be taken inside as it is at risk from predators and wouldn't be old enough to fend for itself. Most kittens stay with mum until at least 7 weeks.If unable to offer the kitten a home, consider contacting your local rehousing centre such as the rspca who would likely be able to find this kitten a forever home.It's also important to mention that the kitten will need vaccines from 9 weeks old and neutering from 4 months old, to keep it healthy.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks very much
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would Whiskas kitten milk from 6 week's be ok as kitten milk? Or is there another type of milk which would be better? Thank you
No, as this kitten sounds younger than 6 weeks we would ideally give a kitten milk designed from birth such as Cimicat.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you
Not at all and stay safe.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Will the kitten be ok with the milk I've given it? Or do I need to get it to the vet tomorrow out of hours?
It's hard to say for sure and depends on the current health status and age of the little one.If there are any signs such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea, reduced appetite etc. then an urgent vet visit would definitely be needed.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you