Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Looks like My 8 year old cat is breathing heavy and rapidly,

Looks like My 8 year old cat is breathing heavy and rapidly
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: He seems ok in himself, but his breathing is fast and heavy
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Spock
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I dont think so
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Spock is doing this and appreciate your concern.Is he breathing faster than 30 times a minute?
Has he recently been rubbing or in a stressful situation?
Any chance he is over heated?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Hi Dr Linda, he is breathing faster than 30 times a minute, closer to 60. He hasn't been rubbing or been in a stressful situation. He is sat by an open window and it's quite cool

Thank you.Unfortunately, this is a true emergency. The typical testing breathing rate is 12-15 breaths per minute and anything over 30 tells us the cat may not be getting enough oxygen.While fast breathing can occur due to stress, pain or a fever if there are no other obvious signs I would be worried about a primary lung or heart disease such as asthma or Dilated Cardiomyopathy.Cats who are breathing this fast can go downhill quickly so he needs to see a vet now.They will examine him and may run some tests such as a chest xray.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g oxygen, medicine to drain fluids, steroids or antibiotics.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your advice

Not at all.When travelling, try to minimise the time spent in transport and keem him cool. A sheet over the carrier can minimise distress as it blocks out scary sights and sounds.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Rachel

Hello, how is Spock getting on?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, he has been in the vets since 6am Monday on antibiotics and steroids, he had a chest infection, thankfully I can pick him up later today, thank you so much for your advice. It was touch and go whether he would make it at one point. Xx

Oh bless him, I'm so glad to hear he is on the mend and coming home today; great news!