Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I went away for a few days and my kitten was home with my

I went away for a few days and my kitten was home with my fiancé who works nights. The first time he’s really been alone. When I got home we had our roof replaced and it was really loud. It’s been three days and he has had an accident every day. I pick him up to comfort him and he has leaky stools on me and the floor. He’s eating and drinking fine. Active in the morning but more sleepy than usual during the day. He needs to be by my side all day and lays where ever I am. I can also see his 3rd eyelid on both eyes. He’s more jumpy than normal as well. Could this just be stress?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bronson
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He’s 5 months old.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.I suspect the accidents are because the stool is so runny he needs to go with some urgency and is finding it hard to control his bowels.Raised 3rd eyelids can be a sign of gut inflammation, specifically linked to internal parasites.When was last treated for worms and which product was used?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He’s strictly indoors and hasn’t been treated since we adopted him in June.
While he is indoors only, all kittens are born with worms and we can bring in worms eggs on our shoes.I would go ahead and give a broad acting wormer such as Panacur which can be purchased online or from a pet shop without prescription.I would also start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin.Stop cat food and treats and feed a bland diet of just chicken and rice for a few days. Once the stool is more solid, slowly transition back to his kitten food.Do double check there are no toxins in the home e.g. House plants.If signs persist or Bronson seems unwell, a vet visit and stool analysis would be the next step.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much! I will get working on this. I appreciate your help very much.
Very happy to help and wishing him a speedy recovery.Take care!