Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

He keeps bringing his food back have to clean up every day

Customer Question

he keeps bringing his food back have to clean up every day its after his first meal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: for every he eats and brings the food back just as he as eaten it
JA: How much did the cat eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: sorry the vets says he is right weight i have started to give him half a packet at a time hes allways hungery
JA: Has he thrown up since this happened?
Customer: yes every day vet says it just the way he is butter getting yo much now
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: snoopy and hes a Siamese he cat hes been doctors and hes 8 i also have a Bengal shes just very fussy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no i take him for his yearly check up
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 21 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Snoopy.

Cats vomiting as he's been doing are most often diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) - an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract which usually responds to a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone, the anti-inflammatory antibiotic metronidazole, tylosin, or a combination of these drugs. We also need to consider a particularly nasty type of hairball called a trichobezoar, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis, as well as food intolerance.

Snoopy's vet will want to thoroughly examine him  including performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If nothing untoward is found, an abdominal ultrasound is indicated because this imaging modality is particularly sensitive for evaluating the gastrointestinal tract itself. We're mainly interested in seeing if the inflammation associated with IBD or its sequela small cell lymphoma (older cats, usually) is present. Confirmation of IBD requires scoping and biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Snoopy's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. Over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after my patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.