Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat is acting a little unlike himself. Not as playful but

My cat is acting a little unlike himself. Not as playful but is more normal than not. Also, he tried to use the litter box twice to pee and barely any came out. He just stood there squatting for a few minutes. He was able to poop though no problem. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your cat. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The only other thing is that we just set up our christmas tree that is flocked with fake snow. He has tried chewing on it a few times. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He may or may not have ingested some small jelly orbeez type things from an ice pack he chewed through. However, I was not home and do not know for sure. Also, we just set up our Christmas tree that has flocked snow on it which he has tried chewing on here and there. Not sure if that information is important.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.This behaviour is absolutely a concern.Have you seen him pass a normal urine stream recently?Is he eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He did pass a urine stream this morning. But then he continued to squat in the litter box for a few minutes. Once he came out, he licked the area immediately. Also, yes he is eating and drinking

Thank you for this additional information.

It is vital we ensure he continues to be able to pass urine; an inability to do so is a true emergency and can result in a burst bladder or acute kidney failure.

If he can produce urine but is straining in the tray, he may well have cystitis. This is an inflammation of the bladder that results in cats feeling the urge to urinate even when they don't need to. We may also notice other signs such as mild lethargy or grooming of the area (as you've spotted).

Oftentimes, cystitis is caused by stress due to e.g. a change in environment or routine.

For a sensitive cat, something as simple as putting up a tree could do it.

Cats most likely to suffer with cystitis are those who are over-weight, eat dry kibble, live indoors and are prone to stress. We find those who live with other cats are most often affected.

Other considerations would include a urinary tract infection or bladder stones.

A vet visit is needed both to examine your kitty and also to analyse their urine.

It is quite likely he needs some anti inflammatories, to help settle the inflammation wiithin the bladder.

At home, encourage plenty of water drinking and the consumption of wet food.

Ensure there are always 2 clean litter trays available at all times.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you so much for your help and for the information!

No problem at all.

This window will remain open so please don't hesitate to keep me updated and to conitnue to ask questions.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Last question, should I schedule him an appointment ASAP?

Yes, if you can.

This is in case he becomes blocked and also so we can alleviate his discomfort asap.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay will do! Thanks again and I will keep you updated

Anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
HI! So here is the update. I scheduled an appointment for my cat today. The vet ruled out any serious/fatal condition because when she felt his bladder, it was NOT enlarged and remained a normal size. However, after some x-rays, urinalysis, and a few other tests, turns out he has a bladder infection with some crystals. The vet gave him a shot of medication and sent home Onsior 6 mg tablets. He has a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. Thanks again for your recommendation and information! I appreciate you and your contribution to health for animals!!
Thank you so much for this update and I'm glad to hear he is now on the mend!