Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Have a very sinny cat, who isn’t eating, wants to drink from

Customer Question

Have a very sinny cat, who isn’t eating, wants to drink from the faucet only. Not sure if going to bath room. What to do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  James Murnighan replied 20 days ago.

HI, I'm Dr. Jim. I'm sorry to hear you cat isn't eating.

How old is your cat and what is it's name?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Not sure! He was a stray and was only outside until couple days ago, when he was persistent that he wanted to come I. Which of course we let him in. He only wants to driink water from the tap. This morning he jumped in the shower with me to get to the water.he seems very lethargic and smells bad. Please advise! His name is Jeffrey

Thanks. I'm unable to take a call but I can continue to chat. I can opt out if you would like to speak with a vet by phone.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I sent you the correct number
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
You just charged me $18 for a call.
And you haven’t answered my questions….
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 20 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 20 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear your cat has these issues and hope to be able to help.What age is he?When did this start?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If Jeffrey is a stray who hasn't seen a vet, you need to bring him to one right away.

This is so we can check for a microchip and perform a health check.

We need to ensure he is castrated.

Strays are high risk for viral infections such as Feline AIDS and Feline Leukaemia virus and many will have been in fights.

We need to determine where the smell is coming from as he may have e.g. dental disease, which is leading to trouble eating.

If he has excessive thirst, this may be a sign of e.g. diabetes or kidney disease.

As well as a check over, the vet will likely advise a blood and urine test.

If you don't want to take this cat on, you can contact a rehoming centre and hopefully one can take him on.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.

I do hope that this has helped to clear up some of your questions.

If you have any further questions, please do let me know.

Take care,

Linda.